Hearing TestsThe Ear Institute offers a comprehensive diagnostic testing service for both children and adults. On your first visit you will be introduced to one of our professionals who will ask you a number of questions to obtain a full patient history regarding the problem(s) you are experiencing. We spend time understanding the unique difficulties facing each individual, and ensure that we recommend the appropriate solution for each situation. The hearing healthcare professional will then conduct a number of different tests depending on your problem. Tests are non-invasive and conducted in a friendly environment. Your hearing healthcare professional will explain the test procedures as well as the results to you.
The hearing test may consist of:
- Pure tone audiogram – both air conduction and bone conduction tests will be performed to determine the degree of hearing loss.
- Full Speech audiogram – determining what levels of speech is understandable at different loudness intensity levels.
- Tympanometry testing – this test provides information on the functioning of the eardrum and middle ear.
- OAE – should the hearing health care professional find it necessary he/she will conduct an OAE test to determine possible damage/ deterioration of the outer hair cells in the cochlea (inner ear).
- Your first appointment will take approximately 60 to 90 minutes.